What is a good sympathy message?
When sending a flower arrangement as a condolence, it is appropriate to include a message expressing your sympathy and support. Some examples of condolence messages that could be included with a flower arrangement are:
- "Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. With love and condolences."
- "Sending our deepest condolences and love to you and your family. May the love and support of those around you provide comfort during this difficult time."
- "We are sorry for your loss and are here to support you in any way we can. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers."
- "Sending love and healing thoughts to you and your family. We are so sorry for your loss and are here for you during this difficult time."
- "We are deeply saddened by your loss and are sending our heartfelt condolences. May the love and support of those around you provide comfort during this time of grief."
It is important to keep the message brief and sincere, and to avoid making assumptions or offering advice. The goal of the message is to express your support and sympathy in a compassionate and respectful way.
Tips For Writing Your Sympathy Message
The most important thing to remember when writing a sympathy message is to keep it short and sweet. It's not necessary to include every detail of the person's life story, but try to convey some idea of what they were like as a person.
Keep Your Message Brief
The most important thing to remember when sending condolences is to keep it brief. Sending a long email will only annoy people who have lost someone they care about. If you want to send something longer than a few lines, consider writing a letter instead.
Offering Words Of Advice
The best advice I can give anyone who has lost someone they love is to not dwell on it but rather focus on living life to the fullest. It's easy to think about what could've been done differently, but if you let yourself dwell on those thoughts, you'll never move forward. Instead, try to live each day as though it were your last.
Speak From The Heart
This is one of the most important parts of any funeral service. It's not just a matter of saying nice things about the deceased; it's about expressing what they meant to others. If you're struggling to find something appropriate to say, try writing down some words that come to mind. Hopefully, some of the examples below will help get you started.
Offer To Help
If someone has lost a loved one, it's natural to want to help them through this difficult time. But if you're not trained in grief counseling, offering to help may actually cause harm. Try to offer practical assistance such as helping with errands, making phone calls, or cooking meals.
What not to say in a sympathy card
We all want to say the right thing when we're talking to people who've just lost someone close to them. Don't use these words when writing your condolences:
- Don't say you know how they're feeling. Even if you've experienced something similar, you don't know exactly how they're feeling. Focus your message on them and their loss.
- Don't look for a positive angle when dealing with a loss. Don't force people to find a positive side to something they're going through. Let them grieve in their own way.
- Don't reference religion unless you know the beliefs of the person you're talking to. Beliefs about death and an afterlife are often deeply personal.
- Don't tell them what to do; focus your message on the loss they're experiencing and extend your sympathy. It’s not the right time to give them advice, but they might ask for it later
Expressing love to someone in their time of grief is better than ignoring the painful reality. Even if you’re unsure what to say, your words will make an impact.
Common Sympathy Card Messages
These messages are often used by people who want to send condolences but don’t know what else to say. Below are some examples
- My heart goes out to you.
- Celebrating the life of a wonderful man/woman and mourning his/her passing with you.
- May God grant you strength during this difficult time.
- I'm so sorry for your loss.
- I wish I had known him better.
- I am thinking of you.
- I hope you find comfort in knowing he/she is no longer suffering.
- My prayers are with you.
- You have my sincere sympathy.
- Please accept my heartfelt condolences.
- May you always remember his/her kindness and generosity.
- What an amazing person and what a remarkable life. I feel so lucky that (name) was part of our family
- Our family will not be the same without (name). I know we’ll find comfort in each other and we’ll get through this together.
Religious Sympathy Messages
The best religious sympathy messages are written by people who know what it's like to lose someone they love. They're personal, heartfelt, and often include a photo of the person being remembered. Here are some examples:
Christian Sympathy Messages
- We pray for peace and healing.
- May God bless you with His peace and grace.
- Please accept our heartfelt condolences for your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family. I hope God blesses and comforts you during this difficult time, and takes the deceased’s soul to Heaven.
- The Lord walks beside us through the darkness and leads us back to peace. Please know that we’re praying for you during this difficult time.
- My heart goes out to you during this painful time. I’m praying for you, and the soul of your loved one.
- Let us rejoice together in the knowledge that our Lord has taken (name) into His arms.
- Praying for you and your family during this difficult time. I hope you feel the power of God’s love and His presence in your lives.
- We send our love and sympathy to you, our friend and neighbor in Christ. Through this time of grief, give your prayers to God and know that He is with you always.
Muslim Sympathy Messages
- May Allah give him/her an easy and pleasant journey and shower blessings on their grave.
- May Almighty Allah give you patience and ease to pass through these trials.
- May the Almighty Allah expand his/her grave and give him/her eternal peace. Allah is always merciful towards people who believe in him.
- May Allah grant him/her eternal peace.
Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Grandparent
When a grandparent dies, their children usually grieve more deeply than other relatives because they felt closer to them. This makes them especially deserving of sympathy cards and online condolences. Here are some ideas for sympathy messages for grandparents:
Grandfather Sympathy Messages
- Sending you my thoughts and best wishes to find your way through this terribly hard period. Your grandfather will be missed greatly.
- Sending my deepest sympathy for such a tragic loss. Your grandfather was an incredible man and I know this must have hit you hard as you were close. I’m so very sorry for your loss
- Your grandfather was a wonderful man and I was so sad to learn of his passing. My condolences
- Having been lucky enough to know your grandfather it was clear to see just how proud of you he was. These words will offer little comfort but you will be in my prayers and thoughts during this very difficult period
- I can’t imagine how unbelievably difficult this must be for you, knowing how close to your grandfather you were. But if there is anything you need then please just ask. I will be there, whether it’s for someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on
- Your grandfather was a truly special man. He will be greatly missed
- My most deep and heartfelt sympathy for the passing of a wonderful man – your grandfather
- We can be here if you need us. It was such a shock to hear of your grandfather's passing
- He was a kind, generous man and the world is a less special place without him
- Sending my love and thoughts to you after the death of your grandfather
- My condolences for the loss of your grandpa
Grandmother Sympathy Messages
- You and your whole family will be in my thoughts. Your grandmother meant the world to so many people and her loss will be felt by them all. It’s such awful news. My condolences
- Even though your granny has passed her memories will live on with you. Try to hold onto those during this difficult time. My condolences
- If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask. I know you and your grandmother were very close so this must be extraordinarily hard for you. I can be there for support or just to talk if you need me.
- Sending all my love and wishing you the strength needed to get through such tough times. Your grandmother was a wonderful lady. She will be sorely missed by so many. I am so sorry for your terrible loss
- May your faith and the love of God offer comfort and solace from the grief you’re feeling. He will help you find peace.
- Grandma’s didn’t come any better than yours. She was amazing and her loss will leave a huge hole in so many lives
- There’s no one like our grandma’s. They’re just so special. I’m deeply sorry to hear of your loss and send all my love for you to get through this. My sympathies
Sympathy Messages for Loss of Mother
The most common way people express sympathy is by sending flowers. Flowers are a great way to show someone they mean something to you, but they don’t last forever. If you really want to make a lasting impression, consider writing a sympathy card or email instead. Here are some suggestions:
- Sorry for your sorrow and loss I know your mother is smiling somewhere, as she watches over all of you.
- May your mother’s soul rest in peace.
- Your mother was a gem, and will be greatly missed.
- Your dear mother was loved by everyone who knew her. She was so good to everyone she met. She will be missed so much.
- We deeply miss her, and we pray for you. Her passing is a great loss for so many.
- I’m truly sorry to hear about your mother. She was such a great person.
- Remembering her wonderful and gentle soul will forever remain in our hearts. May she rest in peace.
- Your mom touched so many lives. May her spirit continue to live through you and your family.
- Your mother was such a sweetheart and was so full of so much love for others. May she rest in peace and be free from pain.
- May her soul rest in peace and light forever. Wishing you peace and comfort.
- I’m so saddened to hear of your loss. Your mother was a wonderful woman. I wish peace and comfort to you and your family.
- She was a very special person and always will be. May God be with you and your family in this time of sadness.
- Your dear mom was such a beautiful soul! The world has lost one of its greatest people. I know you will hold on to the memories and the lessons she has taught you
- She taught us that love is the only truth.
- A mother’s love is alive forever. In the lessons she taught, the patience she gave, and in the hearts of the children she raised. Our prayers go out to you in this time of great sadness.
- Someone as special as a mother is never gone from this world. May you still see her smile in your mirror and hear her voice singing in your heart.
Sympathy Messages for Loss of Father
The most important thing to remember is that it's okay to grieve. It's normal to miss someone who was so important to you. Your father will always live on through his legacy. He'll never be forgotten.
- The lessons taught by a father as loving and wise as yours will last a lifetime. May you always feel his presence in your heart.
- We’re thinking of you in your hour of grief. The kind, selfless nature of your father made him a joy to be around.
- Your father was an incredibly warm and caring spirit. As you grieve, please take comfort knowing that this very special man touched the hearts of so many.
- Every once in a while, God blesses us with a very special person, and our lives are changed forever. Please know that we share your sadness as you say goodbye to your loving father
- A father’s love is a never-ending gift. May you forever feel his light shining down on you from Heaven.
- Your father had a wonderful sense of humor and always knew how to make us smile. We are going to miss him greatly.
- A father is someone who teaches us the meaning of courage, strength, and love. We see these wonderful traits in you every day. He truly was a wonderful man.
- You’re in our prayers as you say goodbye to your father. May you find healing and comfort during this sorrowful time.
Sympathy Messages for Loss of Wife
The best way to send sympathy messages is to write them yourself. It will give you the chance to say what you really want to say without being constrained by the limitations of a pre-written message. But sometimes, we all need a little help getting started, below are some sweet messages that should help.
- Your wife was a wonderful woman. She will be greatly missed. My deepest sympathies
- Your wife will be missed by all who were lucky enough to know her. May you find peace and love in the memories you cherish. My condolences
- I was so shocked to hear of your wife’s passing. You are in my thoughts and prayers
- Your wife was an amazing woman who touched everyone she knew. We are so sorry to learn of her passing and are wishing you peace and comfort during this hard time
- I am so deeply saddened by your loss. Your wife will be in our hearts and memories. Stay strong
- Your wife was a one-in-a-million, and her legacy will be there for all to see. I can’t begin to express how sorry I am. Just know I’m thinking of you in this difficult time
- My heart goes out to you and your family over the passing of your wife and mother. She was such a positive influence on everyone around her and that infectious spirit will be her legacy. You have my very sincere and heartfelt sympathy
- Your wife’s death is a tragedy and she will be missed by the whole community. Her good work will be a lasting tribute to the sort of person she was. My deepest condolences are with you and your family
Sympathy Messages for Loss of Husband
These messages are great if you want to send sympathy messages to someone who has lost a spouse. They are simple, heartfelt, and easy to write.
- Please know that you have our deepest sympathy for the loss of your husband. I know it will do little to help but you are in our thoughts during this tragic time
- You have my sincere condolences, and I will keep you close in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks. Stay strong
- I hope you can find some comfort and strength in knowing your friends and family are there for you in this truly difficult time. My condolences
- May the love of God give you some peace and comfort during this tragic time. You will be in our prayers
- Your husband's loss was far too soon, and although he has gone I find myself thinking of him often and being inspired by the life he lead. His memory will never fade. Please accept my sincerest sympathies
- It was such a shock to hear if your husband's passing. I can’t express how sorry I am. Please accept my most heartfelt condolences
- Please accept my deepest condolences for the passing of your spouse. I wish I could do more to help but know that I will always be there if you need me
- I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Your husband was not just a colleague but a true friend of mine. I can’t begin to imagine what you’re going through. If you need a thing don’t hesitate to come to me. With sympathy
Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Sibling
The death of a sibling is one of life's most difficult experiences. It's important to remember that grief doesn't end after a year; it's a lifelong process. The right condolence message can remind them they're not alone.
The loss of a brother - sympathy messages
- I heard about the loss of your brother, and my heart aches for you. If I could, I would bring a day when your happy memories of him are stronger than your sadness from his passing. I am here for you, any time of the day or night.
- Nobody understands what you’re going through unless they have lost one of their siblings. It doesn’t seem like enough to say that I’m sorry for your loss. I want to do more and bring you relief from your sorrow. If you can think of anything I can do, please let me know. In the meantime, I am thinking of you.
- My soul was filled with sorrow when I heard about the passing of your brother. I cannot imagine the emotions you must be feeling as you absorb this loss. I want you to know that I care about you. I stand by, ready to help you in any way I can. Sending my heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your brother.
- My thoughts are with you as you mourn the loss of your brother. I hope you find comfort and peace in the arms of those you love. You and your family are in my thoughts, and I send you all my sincerest condolences. Please let me know how I can help you during this difficult time.
- I know it is hard, and I am sorry you are going through this. Please know that you are not alone. I am here, phone in hand, waiting for you to say you need a hug or support. Whether it is a few days or much longer, I am here when you are ready.
The loss of a sister - sympathy messages
- Your sister may not have said it but she was so proud of you. I hope you know that you meant the world to her. She was one of a kind and we were lucky to have had her. She will be missed terribly
- Your sister was one of the kindest, most special people I was lucky enough to know. You have my sincerest condolences on your loss.
- I can’t tell you how sorry I was to hear about your sister. I was shocked and very upset by the news. Please accept my condolences to you and your whole family during this dreadful time
- I can’t yet believe she is really gone. I’m heartbroken and can only imagine what you’re going through. I’m so sorry and will keep you in my prayers
- Your sister will never really leave you. She will be with you every day, watching over and keeping you safe. My sincerest sympathy for your loss
- I am so sorry for your loss and wish I could do something to make things better. I’m just a phone call away if you need me.
- I hope you can find some comfort in knowing everyone who knew your sister is mourning her loss. We were all touched by her warmth and kindness. She will live on in our hearts. My condolences
Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Child
One of the worst tragedies we could experience is losing a child. An absolute heartbreaker. Words cannot take away the pain of losing a child. If you know someone who has lost a child, the right condolence message can remind them they're not alone.
The loss of a son - sympathy messages
- Your son’s legacy will live on in the hearts of all who knew him. I’m so sorry for your loss.
- Sending you my deepest condolences upon the death of your son, [Name]. He was a kind, caring soul, and he will be missed.
- Little boys leave permanent footprints in our hearts. We will celebrate [Name]’s legacy every day.
- our son brought endless joy into this world. I’ll always remember when he…
- I wanted to let you know that I’m always here for you. The bond between you and your son was so strong, and this will never fade.
The loss of a daughter - sympathy messages
- Your daughter was a beautiful angel. The world was a better place because she was in it.
- We are all deeply saddened by your loss. Please know that your child was loved before she was even born, and that love will never fade.
- I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your baby girl. Nothing I say can make this easier, but please know that she was loved by all.
- There are no words to explain the sorrow and pain you’re feeling. Your daughter will be so missed.
- My heart feels so heavy. Words can’t express my sadness, but I’m always here for you.
Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Friend
Regardless of whether a death is expected, it always comes as an unexpected shock. When someone dies, how do you know what to write about? You can use these condolence messages to find the right words to write on a condolence card.
- I was so sorry to hear of your loss. I am always here for you, sending you love and strength during this distressing time. Let your tears flow, and may your sorrows be softened with happy memories. I am thinking about you and sending my heartfelt sympathies and condolences.
- Hugs are great medicine for the soul. They let you know that others care and wrap you up in the comfort of warm hearts. They hit the right note when words cannot. If you need a hug, just let me know, as I have plenty. I would love nothing more than to share them with you during this difficult time. I send you my deepest condolences.
- My deepest sympathies are with you for the loss of (name). If you’d like to talk, walk, sit, and stare at the world with the strength of a friend beside you, I am here for you. I am here for you now. I am here for you later. Take your time.
- We may know that death is a part of life, yet it’s never easy to lose someone. I’m so very sorry for the loss of [insert name], whom I know was a bright spot in your life. I would love to help you keep his/her memory alive by hearing your stories of the times you shared. I’m here to listen to your words, your tears, and to hold your hand through it all.
- After losing someone you love, it can feel like you’re floating through life. You go through the motions but are numb to the world around you. One of the hardest parts can be trying to reconnect yourself. Whether you need someone to laugh, cry, or talk with, I will be here to help you through this time. My heart is with you.
Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Pet
The best way to show your sympathy for someone who has lost a pet is by sending them a message expressing your sadness at their loss. It's important to note that this should not be done immediately after the death of a pet. This will only cause unnecessary distress. Instead, wait a few days before sending the message.
- May the memories of your precious (name) soften the sadness in your heart.
- We are so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy/girl, (name). He was a beautiful (species) and clearly a much-loved member of your family; we know he will be missed.
- Our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Wishing you comfort for the loss of (name).
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you. With heartfelt sympathy for the loss of (name).
- May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead. My deepest sympathies for the loss of (name).
- My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
- I will never forget the time…(dogs played together, cats sat on my lap, etc.)
- I’m just a phone call or a text away. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.
- I’m so sorry that you’ve lost precious (name) who you and your family loved so much.
- I cannot imagine how much you are hurting right now.
- Please know that I’m thinking of you and pulling for you.
- I know you will cherish all of your wonderful memories with (name). I’m here for you.
Looking to send a floral arrangement with your sympathy message? View our Funeral Flower Collection